Saturday, June 28, 2008

Mummy Iris's Shroud

When Mummy Iris had to go to the hospital, I checked her chest of drawers to find the good clean new gowns she has been saving for years.
There neatly folded was the pretty satin smocked pink gown I given her years ago. In the suitcase it went. With long sleeves it would be warm in the hospital. She saw it and said to take it out. I didn't listen and left it in.

About three days later when she was able to be up and around she found it again.

"I told you to not to bring that thing. It looks like a shroud. And I'm not dead yet. Im not wearing it anywhere."


Nobody wears a shroud these days, not even the dead very often. I did look up burial shrouds on the internet and her gown does look suspicously like a shroud, but it is pretty. I think she will still want a live fashionable outfit when the time comes.
We will donate the gown to someone who doesn't remember what a shroud looks like. They, like me will think it pretty and hey, it's warm.
Anybody out there want a shroud, errr, a pretty pink gown?

1 comment:

Claire said...

She's right, we shouldn't sell this kind of thing to the living. it's scary and a bad omen.
Even if we are all going to leave one day, we like to think we are immortal.